From Retro CDN
Merging page histories
In some circumstances, Administrators are able merge page histories, in order to ensure that all edits to an article are reflected in a page's history.
For example, every non-minor article edit is credited to the Archivist who contributed it, available in the page history. However, if two articles contain the same or likened information that consensus requires be combined into one article, the only way for contributors to both articles to have their edits recorded in the new pages history is to merge the pages' histories.
- A "cut and paste" move, where Archivist B moves Archivist A's addition to Article X to Article Z using cut-and-paste. The page history of Article Z will not reflect that Archivist A made any contributions.
Warning: this procedure may sometimes only be undone by a developer, spending quite silly amounts of time: to undo a merge, every single version has to be manually reassigned to the correct source page. Do not do this if you're not sure what you're doing.
Follow this procedure to merge page histories:
- suppose we wish to merge edit history from Mobius History (old title) into History of the planet Mobius (new title):
- Delete History of the planet Mobius, with comment deleting to merge page histories - back soon.
- Move Mobius History to History of the planet Mobius, using the move tool.
- Undelete the History of the planet Mobius article.
- Edit History of the planet Mobius to restore the most recent version.